- In Nursery, children are exposed to phonics via an enhanced RWI framework where focused activities engage and promote learning.
- In Reception new sounds are taught as a whole class. The children are then split into groups where they complete different learning tasks such as pencil control activities; practising writing sounds; word time (RWI); hold a sentence. These groups are changed all the time, depending on the progress of the children. The whole of the English session occurs for 1 hour every day.
- Systematic synthetic phonics sessions, using the RWI framework, are no more than 30 minutes in length for four days a week.
- The children in KS1 have intensive daily support for reading. This session teaches and re-enforces reading skills.
- After phonics sessions, skills needed to produce accomplished pieces of writing are practised. Phonics, spelling, punctuation and grammar are a focus.