At Esh Winning Primary School we have developed an inspirational, creative curriculum, which allows children to learn, develop their skills and progress rapidly. It is designed to encourage their natural curiosity and stimulate their creativity. You can view an overview of each curriculum subject from Year 1 to 6 on our website.
The government set out their definition of British values in the 2011 Prevent Strategy. These were reinforced in Sept 2014 due to recent events. These new regulations will sit alongside the requirements of the Equalities Act, which also applies to all types of school. View our approach to British Values on our website.
Reading & Phonics
You can view information about our phonics and reading schemes on our website.
How we Develop our Curriculum
In Key Stage One and Two, using the National Curriculum 2014, teachers have planned and developed exciting topic titles which connect discrete subjects together with strong links. Each subject is given individual time so that children can learn many skills and have a broad and balanced curriculum. It also allows children the opportunity to develop talents in a wide variety of skills and disciplines.
As well as ensuring full curriculum coverage through our planning and assessment procedures, topics are planned with the school’s key drivers at the fore. These are:
- Child Initiated Learning
- Learning Outside the Classroom
- Learning Powers (the seventeen skills needed to be an excellent learner)
- Parental and Community Involvement
- Radio and Film Opportunities (excellent speaking and listening tools)
- Rights Respecting Agenda
- Writing Across the Curriculum
To add the “wow”, the staff also try to plan hands on experiences throughout the topic, bringing the learning to life for their children. This may be a visitor, such as an author, to school; a geocaching session; a visit to a museum; or using the school’s pond or woodland in a forest school session. We also invite parents to school so their child can share with them their learning, experiences and enthusiasm, through regular open afternoons.
We believe our curriculum is broad, balanced but above all inspiring to all.
Wherever possible we organise our classes by ages. The school is organised into three departments, Foundations Stage, Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2.
- Foundation Stage – Nursery and Reception
- Key Stage One – Year One and Year Two
- Lower Key Stage Two – Year Three and Year Four
- Upper Key Stage Two – Year Five and Year Six
For more information regarding what each Year Group cover please go to the Our Classes section. If you would like further information about our curriculum please speak to your child’s class teacher.
Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
All pupils follow the National Curriculum at a level and a pace that is appropriate to their abilities. Our SEND philosophy places SEND children at the heart of personalised learning and our curriculum is tailored to meet individual pupils needs. At times and when it is felt appropriate, modifications to the curriculum may be implemented. To successfully match pupil ability to the curriculum at Esh Winning Primary School remain committed to:
- A range of teaching and learning styles
- Differentiated learning materials
- Access to ICT and Technology
- Additional in class support
- Additional out of class support
- Many Enrichment and Enjoyment opportunities to stimulate and motivate learning
- Flexible groupings – including small group support work
- An innovative and supportive curriculum
- The appropriate use of rewards and sanctions
- A broad range of extra-curricular activities
- Assessment procedures that emphasise pupils’ strengths and achievements
- Applications during national testing at Key Stage 2 to obtain access arrangements as appropriate
If you would like to discuss your SEND requirements in detail please contact the school to arrange an appointment.
You may need a product like Adobe Reader (free download) to view our PDF documents on our website.