How we support children/young people with SEND starting our school
For all children moving from Pre-school or Nursery into Reception:
- Parents will be invited to a Reception intake meeting where they can meet staff and visit the setting.
- Members of the Reception team liaise and visit feeder nurseries and pre-schools to gather key information about all children being transferred to Esh Winning Primary School.
- Where appropriate, a member of the Reception team and the SENCO will attend individual transition meetings for pupils with SEND.
- Children that are moving from a different setting are invited to arrange a visit to school.
Joining Esh Winning Primary School mid-year
- The school supports the induction of all new pupils at any point in the school year.
- We make contact with the previous school to ensure the transfer of information and the child’s school file.
- Parents are invited to attend an induction meeting with the class teacher within the first three weeks of their child joining the school mid-year.
How we support children/young people with SEN moving between classes in our school
- Children participate in a number of transition visits to their new classrooms and have opportunities to meet their new teacher.
- Staff complete transition documents and attend meetings to ensure all information is passed onto the next teacher
How we support children/young people with SEN leaving our school
Key Stage 2-3 (Year 6 to Year 7)
For all children moving from Year 6 to Year 7:
- Every pupil’s school file is passed on to the new secondary school at the end of Year 6.
- For pupils with more specific needs, it may be necessary for a transition meeting to be arranged involving the parents, current Year 6 class teacher, SENCO and the receiving school. These meetings will ensure that all relevant information is passed on and any additional transition arrangements can be made.
- The school arranges regular transition groups and visits for vulnerable Year 6 children to get to know school sites, meet staff with whom they will work and learn about how the school is organised. These are designed each year to meet the pupils’ needs.
Moving to another school
- We make contact with the new school to ensure the transfer of information and the child’s school file.